This is something that I have been asked a few times recently. ‘How do I know when the time is right to try again?’ This is a very personal question, and the answer is going to be different for everyone. So, with this post I am going to give a very general answer based on conversations that I’ve had with various bereaved parents.
You are the only person who knows how you feel about trying again, and therefore you are the only one who knows when the time is right. However, there are some things to take into consideration.
• How does your partner feel?
• Have you had all the tests available so that you know any risks in future pregnancies?
• Are you happy with your care team?
• Are you confident that you will be well looked after?
• Do you feel ready, emotionally, for another pregnancy?
• Are you physically healed from your last pregnancy?
• Are you taking any suggested medication?
The main thing is that you, and your partner, feel ready. Rainbow pregnancies are not easy; you are no longer naïve about things that can happen, and this can be very stressful. I would urge you to work with your doctor to make sure that you are fit and healthy, and that any concerns are taken seriously; as this will help to ease your mind.
Some people feel ready immediately, others want to wait a while. What I will say (and I’m being a complete hypocrite here as I wanted to try straight away after Sophie!), is that it is best to wait for tests, especially genetic tests, to come back first; this way you can be sure that the care plan your doctor puts in place for you, is tailored to your individual needs.
I wish you the best of luck when you do decide to try again, and I’m keeping everything crossed for you!